Tuesday 6 May 2014

Mixed Berries Scones

 The saying goes Necessity is the mother of all inventions but in my case laziness is the mother of this invention. I was craving a sweet baked anything but had no eggs in the fridge. Reluctant to actually go to the shop I decided to look up egg less recipes I could conjure up without much a do.

Hence is how I came upon an egg less banana scone recipe, followed by a Mixed berry scone recipe.
I played around and tried mixing both, but somehow I botched that up when I too cocky winging it and forgot about the milk! So lets just say scraping the mixing off the baking tray after 2 minutes of baking to add the milk is NOT a good idea. The resultant "pastry" despite being very delicious and smelling like an amazing banana loaf was way too flat for my liking.

So today, being out of bananas and still refusing to walk to a grocery store, I tried the Mixed Berries recipe and that has beautifully turned out like actual scones!

I tweaked it by sprinkling desiccated coconut on top before putting into the oven.
I also cut back on the sugar as I planned to serve mine with Jam and Butter with afternoon tea.
If you want to try the banana combo just add a mashed ripe banana to the mix.



Ingredients


1 3/4 cups Wholemeal flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
3/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1/3 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Butter
1 1/3 cup Oats
1/2 cup frozen Mixed Berries
3/4 cup Milk
1 tsp Lemon juice *Optional
1 tbs desiccated coconut  *Optional

Method


In a large bowl combine the flour, the baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar.

Cut the butter into the mixture.

Add the oats, milk and mix until it forms a sticky ball.

Knead for 3-5 minutes.

Cut into  circular pie shape.

Press the frozen berries evenly into the batter.

Bake at 200 degrees Celsius for 20 mins, or until the edges turn a golden brown colour.

Cut into 8 slices then allow to cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment