Sunday 18 May 2014

Seafood Chowder

My first sight of seafood chowder did not entice me in anyway to actually taste it. It was a bowl of sloppy white liquid which did not in any way seem appetising. And that impression has been enough to ensure I never bothered ordering it.

My husband had been promising to change my opinion on Seafood chowder for the past 4 years. And in his own time, he has finally gotten around to it. Our first attempt at it was such a smashing success that he has indeed converted me.

Worth noting that I substituted potatoes with sweet potatoes ( the orange ones) because I just have a thing against white food ( white bread excluded).As a kid I refused to drink plain milk, it always had to be flavoured and subsequently coloured!

I also have an aversion to thin watery soups, so the extra texture provided by the seafood mix and the corn did wonders to get me on board the chowder train.

Ingredients

1 tbs of butter
2 tbs of olive oil
Equivalent of 2 tsp of thyme leaves
1 medium brown onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced or pressed
1 leek, thinly sliced
2 rashers of bacon, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 potato ( I personally used a sweet potato) , chopped
1 Litre of stock (chicken or fish)
1/2 cup of corn
500g Marinara mix
200ml of cream
Salt and pepper to taste

Garnish *Optional 
Chives, Parsley and/or Dill

Methods

In a large pan, melt the butter and add the oil.
Lightly fry the onion and garlic.
Add the bacon and the rest of the vegetables (minus the corn)and lightly fry
Add the stock and cover.
Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes
Remove from heat and allow to cool
Blend into a smooth mixture using a stick blender (or cool further if using a food processor)
Add the corn and Marinara mix and allow to cook for another 10 minutes.
Add the cream and lightly simmer for 3-5 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve hot garnished with herbs

Accompany with Garlic bread or mustard toast.

Mustard toast is my new garlic bread. I found the recipe online and since my first taste of it I have been hooked. It is also considerably easy to prepare also leaving your fingers free of the garlic smell.

Cut a french baguette into sideways slices
Combine 1 tbs of wholegrain mustard with 1 tsp of Olive oil to form a spread
Apply to bread and toast under the grill for 3-5 minutes depending on how bronzed or crunchy you prefer your toast.





No comments:

Post a Comment